With recent updates to the professional network, it is even easier to add a video to your LinkedIn profile to really stand out from all the other profiles. The content of this article is now outdated so please visit this blog to see how it is now done(updated March 2013).
In this article I am going to give you step-by-step instructions on how to do this and you will also find a video tutorial to help you.
Currently you’ll need to use either of two web apps: Slideshare or Google Presentation. In the future, adding videos might become a built-in feature on LinkedIn, just like in Facebook.
Why add a video to your LinkedIn profile?
1. It makes your profile more memorable and distinct from the rest—for now, at least. In the future, when majority of LinkedIn profiles contain videos, it’s how you do in your video that will make the difference.
2. A video shows more about your personal qualities. If a picture is worth a thousand words, a video will allow others to evaluate those ‘words’—how you speak, how you carry yourself, your personality etc. A video is particularly important if you are a speaker, coach, consultant, author, it’s even great for professionals such as lawyers, accountants, PR, those in media—and don’t forget budding politicians.
3. It’s an effective way to show your skills. You can show examples of your work, testimonials from your clients or any number of ways to let people know why you are the best choice if they are looking for someone that offers your products or service.
How to Add a Video to Your LinkedIn profile with SlideShare app:
1. You’ll need a blank presentation (I used a one-slide Powerpoint here) and your video must already be uploaded at YouTube.
2. While you’re logged in at LinkedIn, go to menu ‘More > More Applications’
3. Click on the SlideShare app:
4. You’ll be asked to create a SlideShare account (assuming you don’t have one yet, or to link an existing slideshare account). Once you do, you’ll be asked to confirm your email. Log on to your email provider and click on the confirmation link.
5. Add the application.
6. Your LinkedIn account will show your SlideShare app with an upload button. Don’t use this button yet, instead, logon to your new SlideShare account at www.slideshare.net (not via the LinkedIn application) and use the upload buttons from there.
9. Once it’s converted, go to your uploads
10. Click ‘Edit/Delete’
11. Click ‘Insert YouTube Videos’ tab
You can also add a video to your LinkedIn profile using Google Presentation app. It works similar to SlideShare but you may have to tweak the size of the video inside the presentation and you may want to choose to not have the video play automatically.
Here is a video tutorial on how to add a video to your LinkedIn profile using Google Presentation.
The process of how to add a video to your LinkedIn profile can be a little confusing so I hope this post helps you to understand it better.
Still unsure? Or know of some other ways on how to add a video to your LinkedIn profile? Post your questions or comments below.