Do you want to make a profit from your social media marketing? If you want to get the most out of this new technology, you need to create a social media strategy that works for you and your business. Abandon all you thought you knew about social media and let me show you the 5 fundamental ways your business can really start to profit from it:
- Use the same techniques that non-profits use to make a profit. You need to find like-minded individuals to make your social media efforts work. Don’t waste time in places where you don’t belong. If you are selling a health-related product then find people who are health-conscious rather than people who are connecting to the Krispy Kreme Donuts Facebook page. If you are into gourmet cooking, then hang out online with the foodies. Authenticity counts. Stick with your own kind to concentrate your efforts rather than watering them down.
- Recruit allies. Start a thread about something you are passionate about and enlist others to talk about it with you. Contact companies and individuals who you know are passionate about the same things you are. There is strength in that shared passion so make sure you are recognizing every connection that could be a potential ally.
- A good social media strategy includes a weaving technique. Don’t leave any loose strands or your whole project can fall apart. Every blog post or forum announcement should lead back to your website named after you. NO exception, every time.
- Do the right thing. Posting pictures of your new company shirts on Facebook won’t resonate with people. Now if you donate to local charities and you post a picture or video with the shirts on will get you a lot more mileage because people will actually be interested in the good that you do, more than the goods you sell.
- We all like a good game. Use social games and apps to promote your business. If you don’t know how to create your own app, there are people who can do it for you inexpensively. People always need to be entertained so if you can build your business into a fun app they can download onto their smartphone, you’ve done something most businesses attempt at unsuccessfully…captured their undivided attention for several minutes a day. Use this as a viral engagement tactic in your social media strategy and you’ll regain the cost of your app building in no time.
What gains do you want to see from your social media strategy in 2012?